As a hockey mom (but not one of THOSE hockey moms), it’s a given that my house is overflowing with hockey paraphernalia. Sticks, pucks, banners, posters, nets, goalie equipment, you name it, I’m tripping on it! Like so many young boys, my wee dudes are obsessed with the game of hockey. Our season ended a couple of months ago, but some of the kids in town are playing spring hockey. One of those kids is a young man named Kale. As much as my kids love the game. Kale is on another level. His mom tells me that Kale literally has hockey on the brain 24 hours a day. If he’s not on the ice, he is downstairs practising his shot, or outside having a game of road hockey. It came as no surprise when his mom asked me to make him a quilt featuring his favourite NHL team, The Pittsburgh Penguins.
Now, like most sports teams, the Penguins colour scheme is a little on the loud side. I wasn’t exactly sure I would be able to come up with something that wouldn’t pop the eyes out of a snake, but i figured the kid wasn’t going to be too concerned about the quilt being garish, as long as it had the Penguins on it. turns out i was right. ha!
i was able to find some Penguins cotton fabric at joann.com. Unfortunately, they wouldn’t ship it to Canada. (no idea why not). Superquilter to the rescue!!! A quilting friend lives right at the border and has a U.S. address, so she very kindly agreed to pick up the parcel, pay the taxes, and ship it to me. I was very grateful as i could not find the fabric anywhere else. It cost a fortune, but it was worth it!
I wanted something simple, yet not boring. I played with several ideas, but decided a basket weave look would play nice with the fabrics. i decided to split the block borders with the black and yellow because I was worried that if I used all black it would be too dark, and if i used all yellow it would be too bright. In hindsight, plain black probably would have been the better choice.
I was also asked to incorporate a tshirt and two jerseys into the quilt. I figured out my block sizes based on how large i was able to cut the shirt panels. They were all a little different, so I used the largest as my base and added borders to the other blocks to bring them up to size.
The fabric is directional (meaning there is an obvious up and down, so i used one fabric for the horizontal, and one for the vertical. I used the plaid Penguin flannel for the backing, and polydown batting so it wouldn’t be so heavy. I quilted it with an all over meander, and outlined the Penguins logo on the jersey block as it was much to thick to quilt through. It is a very busy quilt, but I know that the recipient is thrilled with it.